Business owners rate obtaining finance as very difficult according to the latest survey results from Nedbank Small Business Index™ . Myth or fact?
Any manager will tell you that recruiting the right staff is one of their most challenging tasks, more so for small business owners, who cannot afford to hire the wrong person.
Hot or Not
National Assembly Speaker Max Sisulu for at least setting up the ad hoc committee to consider the president’s submission on the Nkandla matter. His ANC colleagues wanted the issue buried and forgotten, but Sisulu has ensured it will be transparently considered by a multiparty committee, even if the ANC has a majority in Parliament.Not:
Clearly a high-profile individual accused of murder deserves high-class treatment from our government. The R2.9 million spent on a private jet to fly Shrien Dewani to the country from the UK shows the justice department paid way too much. We all want justice in this matter, but several cheaper options could have been explored.
Police constable Beauty-Queen Nchabeleng donned a school uniform and posed as a pupil to catch a brutal serial rapist in Limpopo. She was among the winners at the SAPS’ annual National Excellence Awards late last week – a well-deserved honour for an officer who went above and beyond to remind us just how much good cops can achieve.Not:
Shinawaaz Ahmento and Kyle Fredericks, both 21, were convicted and sentenced this week for
the rape and murder of young Eldorado Park mother Tracey-Lee Martins. The two posed for
reporters outside court, grinning proudly as though they were at a party. Criminals as self-made
Female leaders in the ANC don’t often publicly challenge the sexism that’s endemic across the political spectrum. Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula deserves praise for defending Public Protector Thuli Madonsela. She criticised those in the alliance who decried Madonsela’s “big nose”, saying Madonsela’s detractors should play the ball, not the woman.Not:
Reading up on a subject lends credence to anyone who wants to speak with authority on a matter. So ANC parliamentary chief whip Stone Sizani should have known better when he called a press conference to discuss Public Protector Thuli Madonsela’s report on Nkandla spending. Sizani had not read the report.
During the course of the Nkandla investigation, Public Protector Thuli Madonsela was stymied, bullied, insulted and threatened by governing party leaders and supporters.
She stood her ground and proceeded to fulfil her duties of safeguarding the public interest. South Africans are fortunate to have someone of her integrity and courage in that office.Not:
How does one begin to describe Thulas Nxesi? Puppet? Suck-up? Manipulator of truth?
As the frontline man in the defence of the Nkandla plunder, Nxesi has dreamt up wild stories that would make residents of the Weskoppies mental institution envious. He is really working hard to hold on to his R2 million salary.
We think the ANC needs more elders like Ben Turok, who was bold enough to question the party’s inclusion of the likes of Dina Pule on its parliamentary candidate list despite damning findings against her by the Public Protector and Parliament’s ethics committee. Turok has challenged the ANC to uphold the best standards of ethical conduct.Not:
A year ago, the Mkhondo municipality in Piet Retief dug holes for toilets but left them open. The
incessant rain filled the open holes and two-year-old Innocent Mambane drowned in one this week. Whatever answer the municipality supplies as to why it left the holes open, it will never bring back little Innocent.
For the small business sector to not only survive but also thrive, it needs to access in-depth industry trends and insights, which is why Nedbank has created a comprehensive Small Business Index for all.
The support by parties in Parliament this week of the Public Service and Administration’s budget plans should be a clear indication of the importance of this portfolio in creating a better life for all.
- Time for shortcuts in football development is over – Gordon Igesund
- Lesotho’s Lebenya Nkoka wins Two Oceans Marathon
- Everton game not about me – Manchester United manager David Moyes
- Liverpool trio on shortlist for PFA player of the year
- Pizza-eating Lusapho April gears up for Boston Marathon
- Actor Idris Elba welcomes baby son Winston
- Movie review – Forgotten Kingdom: The hills are alive with the sound of cliches
- Paul Walker’s brothers to fill in for late actor in Fast & Furious 7
- Michael Jackson’s mum told to pay $800 000 to concert promoter
- Hunger Games: Catching Fire sweeps MTV Movie Awards
We are grateful to the Almighty for the achievements that our country has scored since the dawn of freedom.
City Press on Twitter
- Tomorrow's front page: http://t.co/0dCl6NLI4B 11 hours ago
- Pitso Mosimane: It’s a bit unfair: http://t.co/iutB4tEljU by @DanieMothowagae 13 hours ago
- #Trending lifestyle in @City_Press tomorrow: @missmillib turns her back on the Big Mac #slowfood 14 hours ago
- #Trending radio in @City_Press tomorrow: Bonang is torturing us with her twang, say our reviewers. 14 hours ago
- #Trending movies in @City_Press tomorrow: SA thriller iNumber Number opens next week. Read reviews and win tickets to see it first. 14 hours ago