Business owners rate obtaining finance as very difficult according to the latest survey results from Nedbank Small Business Index™ . Myth or fact?
Any manager will tell you that recruiting the right staff is one of their most challenging tasks, more so for small business owners, who cannot afford to hire the wrong person.
Hot or Not
When it’s your time, it’s really your time. Fresh from a gold in triple jump at the Commonwealth Games, Khotso Mokoena led the South African contingent with a solid victory in the men’s long jump event at the Diamond League meeting in Stockholm this week. This could prove to be Mokoena’s year to capture the world stage and make it his own.Not:
Ratings agencies have become one of those things we love to hate. Whether anyone agrees with the downgrades or not, the minute they declare a company or country junk, a whole lot of investment protocols kick in, ensuring that the rating is proven correct. We have felt their scorn, and we want them to go away and pick on someone else.
Laughter is the best medicine, but it wasn’t enough to cure actor Robin Williams of his deep depression. He made us weep with laughter and, in his darker roles, just weep – and hid his own demons behind a wide smile and sad eyes. His suicide this week left the world a little emptier.
Thanks for the memories, Robin – we’re sorry for your pain.Not:
President Jacob Zuma has mastered the art of passing the buck. After keeping us waiting for months for a response to the Public Protector’s Nkandla report, he delivered what was essentially two pages of a reply as most of the 20 pages were a regurgitation of other reports. And the substance was: Ask the police minister.
When science is cool, it’s really cool. European spacecraft Rosetta caught up with a comet this week. It will attach a probe to 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko – Chury to its friends – and gather data from its surface. This will offer a peek into what reports call a kind of “astronomical time capsule” to see what things were like when our solar system was born.Not:
Lending money to poor people at high interest rates is bad enough. Springing one of the biggest shockers in South Africa’s corporate
history is not hot either. Not long ago, African Bank’s management indicated it was at rock bottom. Almost R10 billion got burnt this week once the extent of its problems became clear.
Team SA for their 37-medal haul with three days to go at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games, getting closer to the target of 43 set by Sascoc and already surpassing the 33 from the 2010 Games. The SA lawn bowls (five gold medals), judo (one) and Rugby Sevens teams proved that the nation should not only always rely on swimming and athletics for gold medals.Not:
What will it take for the US to finally ditch its “softly, softly” approach to Israel? Not even the bombing of a UN-run school in Gaza by Israeli forces could do it. The US called the act “indefensible” and called on Israel to “live up to their own standards” of protecting civilians. That’ll show ’em, Obama. Or not.
It is common cause that when a minister’s official car breaks down, the department hires a replacement. Not for Science and Technology Minister Naledi Pandor, who chose to drive her own private car when her state car was not in use. At a time when government is calling for cuts in excessive spending, Pandor’s action shows a minister leading by example.Not:
Dragged for kilometres during a hijacking and then dying. That’s the end of life for four-year-old Taegrin Morris. His death should shock us all into taking a stand against crime. The fight against crime cannot be relegated to the police alone. It will also take society’s efforts to clear our country of violent criminals.
For the small business sector to not only survive but also thrive, it needs to access in-depth industry trends and insights, which is why Nedbank has created a comprehensive Small Business Index for all.
The support by parties in Parliament this week of the Public Service and Administration’s budget plans should be a clear indication of the importance of this portfolio in creating a better life for all.
- Is Weet-Bix South Africa’s number one cereal?
- No Ebola cases in SA ‘but outbreak continues to accelerate’
- Court gives Portia Sizani ultimatum in R1.2m ‘ghost’ teacher fraud trial
- DA wants auditor-general to probe ‘dodgy defence force’ tenders
- Nkandla: Without clear committee mandate, ANC will sideline Madonsela
- Daryl Impey is ‘relieved’ at being cleared on doping charges
- Itumeleng Khune praises consistent Amakhosi
- Being named England captain fulfils Wayne Rooney ‘dream’
- Pressing Issues: Let’s hope Motsepe’s democratic posturing pays off for players
- Michel Platini rules out taking on Sepp Blatter for Fifa presidency
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt get married in a small chapel in France
- How much has SA changed? Charles S Dutton can’t wait to find out
- TV review – Sticks and Stones: This is a man's world
- Madonsela puppet adds Nkandla twist to Cyrus’ Wrecking Ball
- Metro FM’s ‘find your nearest border post’ comment not xenophobic
You should expressly withdraw your intentions on or before Sunday August 31 at 12 noon, failing which I will have no other option but to approach an appropriate forum for appropriate relief
City Press on Twitter
- Explore Africa's rapidly re-emerging capital of cool, Maputo: http://t.co/zHiysQr4jc #Trending 7 hours ago
- MT @madala101: It's not going to make any difference because food prices are going to remain the same, what can I buy for 67. #talkingpoint 8 hours ago
- DA: Bucket toilets rob people of their dignity: http://t.co/yJhwmZQTZ8 8 hours ago
- MT @TebogoMohale: 67 cent petrol drop will make a perfect impact in my pocket n will buy socks for my sons n daughter. #talkingpoint 8 hours ago
- MT @Acemashudu: Lol, it only makes a difference when it rises. I don't even fill that it has dropped. #talkingpoint #petrolprice 8 hours ago
If I was the colour red, I’d sue Valentine’s Day for defamation. There’s so much more to red than roses and silly balloons.
The actors and actresses of Generations, who are currently on strike, had their contracts terminated by the SABC. The big question is: how much does the show make?
There are many questions that arose after the chaotic scenes seen in Parliament this week.