Stats SA this week released the last series of important economic data for the year. Dewald van Rensburg looked for silver linings amidst bad new on the jobs front and signs of a spendthrift Christmas
Dewald van Rensburg
There is room for one more twist in the five-year saga around the Sishen iron ore mine.
The Constitutional Court this morning finally put an end to the country’s most high-profile mining rights dispute around 21.4% of the Sishen Iron Ore mine.
The prospect of South Africa soon having too much electricity seems like an outlandish idea, but it is the main theme in the new update of the country’s Integrated Resource Plan (IRP), which was released for comment last week.
Eskom may be facing a leadership crisis just as it enters the crucial countdown to switching on the Medupi power station late next year.
The National African Federated Chamber of Commerce (Nafcoc) has commissioned research to demonstrate how locally owned spaza shops are being driven out of the market by better-organised, foreign-owned shops in townships.
The National Union of Metalworkers of SA (Numsa), Cosatu’s largest private sector union, is openly rejecting the labour federation’s founding principle of “one sector, one union”.
The lawyer for street traders who was arrested yesterday appeared in court today, but walked out without any charges “because the prosecutor refused to prosecute”.
Mere hours after a Constitutional Court hearing this afternoon cleared street traders to return to their old spots in Johannesburg, the JMPD once again clashed with them and arrested their lawyer.
The displaced street traders of Johannesburg today appealed straight to the Constitutional Court after the South Gauteng High Court last week struck their battle with the City of Johannesburg off the urgent court roll.
SA’s growth rate drops to an alarming 1.9%, writes Dewald van Rensburg
Turkish mobile operator Turkcell has made good on its promise to find a new venue to sue MTN for R43 billion after filing court papers in Johannesburg this week.
City Press on Twitter
- Tomorrow's front page: http://t.co/0fK0SDLbqP 6 hours ago
- RT @ferialhaffajee: @City_Press on Sunday We've also got lots of lovely Christmas stuff in here. 10 hours ago retweeted via ferialhaffajee
- RT @ferialhaffajee: @City_Press on Sunday Inside the Mandela family feud. Who is at the centre? 10 hours ago retweeted via ferialhaffajee
- RT @ferialhaffajee: @City_Press on Sunday Security upgrades to #Madiba's home at Qunu cost R28.2mn; Nkandla's bill is at R208m. We've spott… 10 hours ago retweeted via ferialhaffajee
- RT @ferialhaffajee: .@City_Press Sunday The President will not pay a cent for Nkandla, Public Works minister Thulas Nxesi tells us. 10 hours ago
- Cpt: 18 - 25°C
- Pta: 20 - 32°C
- Jhb: 16 - 26°C
- Bloem: 22 - 31°C
- Dbn: 18 - 27°C
- PE: 16 - 24°C