I am feeling decidedly odd and a bit at sea. Now that I think of it, it’s a bit like I felt when my dad died. Like my earth moved a little.
It came almost as the clock struck midnight. A sombre President Jacob Zuma, dressed in a mandarin-collared jacket, made the announcement we have expected all year. “Our beloved father has departed.”
These three security cluster spokespersons are erudite, talkative and highly persuasive. They work the media troops. And it pays off.
I am a proud affirmative action candidate. If it were not for the constitutional clause addressing redress and the laws that flowed from them, I would not have this great job.
So, I know I’ve been a bit out of it recently, but did I seriously miss so much?
Black Wednesday. 1977 sometimes feels as if it was such a long time ago that we live in a completely new era. On other days, it feels as if it was only yesterday, that there are still long battles to fight and wars to win.
The thing I love about South Africa is that it is almost impossible to cover up anything.
So, yesterday was five years since then president Thabo Mbeki was so unceremoniously evicted from office by the governing ANC.
Ferial Haffajee believes Gold Fields’ BEE story has the wrong ending.
For the longest time, I opined we were at a tipping point of being corrupt if we didn’t do something about it. Well, now we’ve tipped. We are well and truly corrupt, and I have won my long battle against the politeness gene.
Ferial Haffajee spent a week comparing SA’s24-hour news channels.
‘We welcome His Excellency, the honourable President of the Republic of South Africa. And Her Excellency, Madam First Lady of the Republic of South Africa.
City Press on Twitter
- Ex-cop kills himself after shooting wife, others: http://t.co/ZF1Kjcdp9H 2 hours ago
- Walter Sisulu: #Madiba touched millions: http://t.co/GeRY80Qc0D 2 hours ago
- ‘Unpredictable’ #Madiba kept bodyguards on their toes: http://t.co/1NujBzTUH6 by @LubabaloNgcukan 3 hours ago
- RT @charlduplessc: #Mandela Outside Waterkloof Air Force Base where we're expecting US Pres. Barack Obama on Air Force One. At some stage. 3 hours ago
- Douglas Foster wonders what a world without #Madiba would have looked like: http://t.co/v6tLt4YkAX 3 hours ago