In the political mayhem of last week, a small number has gone relatively unnoticed.
The police, the courts, the intelligence services and now the revenue service are institutions under threat by criminal elements.
Tired of a god (Nelson Mandela) and a philosopher (Thabo Mbeki), the governing ANC chose in Jacob Zuma an everyman as its president.
The black is gone.
She may have been the first lady of two countries, but she does not want to be the first citizen of any.
Compatriots, truth be told, ours is a tough country to govern. It’s diverse, opinionated and tjatjarag. We are beautiful but troubled. Our economy is stagnant and possibly about to enter a recession, which is defined as two successive quarters of negative growth.
Blaming the water problem on affirmative action implies blacks are institutionally inferior, writes Ferial Haffajee
Tomorrow’s riches lie beneath the ground, but they are not in the mines, writes Ferial Haffajee
ANC voters are not clowns.
As President Jacob Zuma was inaugurated yesterday, Ferial Haffajee tells us who she thinks the real Number 1 is
My president has got me in a terrible catch-22. Nkandla troubles me. Not President Jacob Zuma’s home, as such – it’s his hearth, not mine. What troubles me is what the R246 million splurge has come to symbolise.
Get this: a Parliament with a platoon of Economic Freedom Fighters and a substantially boosted blue-nami of DA members. Add to this mix a range of smaller parties. The outcome?
City Press on Twitter
- We deserve the president we have because we made this mess by doing nothing, writes Vuyani Ngalwana: http://t.co/F2QTDcwPhZ 4 hours ago
- MT @THEREALLUCKY5: Public Protector found Zuma guilty of corruption. When will he resign just like Tlakula? He's not special. #talkingpoint 15 hours ago
- MT @madala101: She knew from the very beginning that she was fighting a losing battle, public protector has enough evidence. #talkingpoint 15 hours ago
- MT @Peabss: 1.) Don't waste courts' time when u'll obviously lose. 2). Public Protector's decision is final [Zuma take note] #talkingpoint 15 hours ago
- MT @madala101: She shouldn't have wasted her time, she should have tendered her resignation letter immediately. #talkingpoint 15 hours ago
If I was the colour red, I’d sue Valentine’s Day for defamation. There’s so much more to red than roses and silly balloons.
Readers react to the EFF’s parliamentary behaviour with more favour than scorn.
Rock out to music with local and international musicians