I last saw Nadine at her home in Parktown West, Joburg. We spent about two hours chatting on the veranda just after 2pm on July 12 last year.
In the first of a two-part series, Njabulo S Ndebele details the Guptas’ landing at Waterkloof and the role played by . . .
Deplorable conditions at schools indicate a failure of our national imagination to conceive of anything better for our children, writes Njabulo S Ndebele
Amílcar Cabral, the great African revolutionary who led Guinea-Bissau and Cape Verde’s struggle against Portuguese colonialism, combined a strong intellect with a deep passion for his country and its people.
Nkandla is carving its place in our history as a major test of a people’s character. Few things in recent times will test the capacity of the people of South Africa to honour the truth. Public and private institutions all face the test.
A story has seized hold of me again, not that it ever let go from when I first came across it in 2007. After Tears is the title of the novel that tells the story.
City Press on Twitter
- EFF to file urgent application after eThekwini Municipality cancels Freedom Day rally venue: http://t.co/pLW8C77RVC by @SthembileCel 3 hours ago
- Edward Zuma told Max du Preez where to get off after he wrote a scathing column criticising King Goodwill Zwelithini http://t.co/hJIQIWmm4z 4 hours ago
- “I apologise on behalf of government about what happened here. It is not right for us to fight as Africans.” http://t.co/vY3nsv44PK 5 hours ago
- Bruce Jenner makes transgender history by identifying as a woman: http://t.co/R7vuinsvPO 6 hours ago
- Wilmot James on DA top job: “I have received overwhelming support from colleagues and friends across the party.” http://t.co/kCDkkwyx6P 6 hours ago
I’m busy working on Saturday’s babalaas when I get an SMS from a government spin doctor: “King Goodwill Zwelithini is going to talk about the xenophobia at KwaHlongwa near Maphumulo in a couple of hours’ time.”
It’s almost as if you need never ask about the origins of Africa; there never was a time when Africa was not here.
The rest of Africa is Simply, Better, Faster than South Africa, to borrow a phrase from Standard Bank, one of the big four banks that are minting it on our continent.