I ran into the famously jazz-crazy artist Sam Nhlengethwa at the hanging of his latest show at the Goodman Gallery in Joburg last week.
Standard Bank Joy of Jazz is upon us and offers three particularly strong streams of talent: trumpeters, vocalist and pianists.
‘When words leave off, music begins,” wrote German poet Heinrich Heine.
The Sea Point promenade in Cape Town now sports its very own rhinoceros.
The current political dispensation was inaugurated on the back of kangas, postcoital showers and accusations of forced or violent sexual encounters.
The Goodman Gallery is collaborating with global nongovernmental organisation Orange Babies in a creative project that mixes art and philanthropy.
Electronic music lovers have just been treated to perhaps the most highly anticipated release in almost a decade – Felix Laband has just produced three hot new tunes.
For a rising number of the so-called nouveau riche blacks, the new plateau brings with it a fascinating kind of existential crisis.
There’s a new Muslim comic star on the rise. His name is YaaseenBarnes.Percy Mabandu gives him a ring
2Bop is, without question, starting to own the high end of South Africa’s rising streetwear market.
There’s something about times of great excitement that make fundamental change in the world possible.
Anyone attempting to tell the terrible story of the Marikana massacre through musical theatre faces an impossible task.
City Press on Twitter
- MT @AnneLeonardPta: People who expect waiters to work for free shouldn't eat out. In a country with millions struggling, people must be real 2 hours ago
- RT @geraldinedun1: Food has become expensive. If you can't tip, find another act of kindness to pay it forward. 2 hours ago
- RT @nhlakagreg: I do tip but depending on the service, if the service was terrible I don't tip, or if I waited too long without explanation 2 hours ago
- RT @pietmashika: I can only speak for myself, most of the time I have only enough money to buy a meal that's why I don't tip. 3 hours ago
- RT @donnedwards: Great article! It's not *only* black nouveau riche who are bad tippers. Rapid wealth makes most people arrogant 3 hours ago
Wednesday. The Croc (photographer Khaya Ngwenya) andI are hanging out with Riyana Bujram. Riyana’s this fearless, in charge-of-the world three-year-old.
South Africa is easily spooked by bogus intelligence reports. It is easy to lose count of the number of so-called intelligence reports that have been used in factional wars throughout our democratic era.