I ran into the famously jazz-crazy artist Sam Nhlengethwa at the hanging of his latest show at the Goodman Gallery in Joburg last week.
Standard Bank Joy of Jazz is upon us and offers three particularly strong streams of talent: trumpeters, vocalist and pianists.
‘When words leave off, music begins,” wrote German poet Heinrich Heine.
The Sea Point promenade in Cape Town now sports its very own rhinoceros.
The current political dispensation was inaugurated on the back of kangas, postcoital showers and accusations of forced or violent sexual encounters.
The Goodman Gallery is collaborating with global nongovernmental organisation Orange Babies in a creative project that mixes art and philanthropy.
Electronic music lovers have just been treated to perhaps the most highly anticipated release in almost a decade – Felix Laband has just produced three hot new tunes.
For a rising number of the so-called nouveau riche blacks, the new plateau brings with it a fascinating kind of existential crisis.
There’s a new Muslim comic star on the rise. His name is YaaseenBarnes.Percy Mabandu gives him a ring
2Bop is, without question, starting to own the high end of South Africa’s rising streetwear market.
There’s something about times of great excitement that make fundamental change in the world possible.
Anyone attempting to tell the terrible story of the Marikana massacre through musical theatre faces an impossible task.
City Press on Twitter
- Government employees, it is widely said, are overpaid – and grossly so. This is not true, writes @telbelsa: http://t.co/CRDlxJmMpn 3 hours ago
- Nigeria building collapse: Madonsela lends helping hand: http://t.co/K3t7e5kV4B 3 hours ago
- MT @neoraselabe: Our African leaders are concerned with filling their pockets with money and power. #talkingpoint 10 hours ago
- Champions League round-up: Real outclass Liverpool, Arsenal pull off late comeback: http://t.co/h35kk8ZnNT 11 hours ago
- RT @IamMfanelo: No its a "Pause". "@City_Press: Chiefs’ winning run comes to an end: http://t.co/3lbvqo3GSU" 11 hours ago
Milisuthando Bongela asks where the underprivileged black woman is in the midst of all this trendy feminism.
It should be increasingly difficult for South Africa’s top executives to justify their enormous pay packages, given the furore over excessive pay, the country’s high level of unemployment, and the huge disparity between the highest- and lowest-paid employees at companies.