University of Cape Town students are demanding that management make public its stance on their calls to have the statue of Cecil John Rhodes destroyed.
More black students are enrolling in South Africa’s universities, but the drop-out rates for university and high school students are still alarmingly high.
He is as controversial in death as he was in life. More than 110 years after his passing, British imperialist Cecil John Rhodes’ legacy is being hotly debated across the length and breadth of South Africa
The debate about a name change at Rhodes university has not come up for debate, and as such will remain, vice-chancellor Dr Sizwe Mabizela has said.
University of Cape Town vice-chancellor Dr Max Price said he would like to see the statue of Cecil John Rhodes removed from its current position, but not destroyed.
Kagiso Trust is set to enter the low-fee private school sector, with a specific focus on township schools.
Six South African universities have been chosen to be part of the African Research Universities Alliance, which was launched today in Dakar, Senegal.
The man whose name is synonymous with straight shooting leaves UKZN SA’s most transformed and research-oriented university.
The University of KwaZulu Natal (UKZN) will be positioned as the premier institution of African scholarship, according to vice-chancellor Albert van Jaarsveld.
Two vice-chancellors, one black, the other white, who have been appointed to lead universities at the opposite ends of the transformation debate have promised to ring in dramatic changes.
We’re just three months into 2015 and the number of South Africans applying for debt relief is already soaring. Sipho Masondo examines what’s keeping the middle class under debt’s dirty thumb.
City Press on Twitter
- RT @polokotau: #EskomvsMatona Redding :the meeting was not to discuss an inquiry into misconduct of any particular person 2 hours ago
- MT @polokotau: #EskomvsMatona Redding: Matona was suspended at a meeting that was dealing with resolution of an inquiry into Eskom affairs 3 hours ago
- MT @polokotau: #EskomvsMatona Redding: Eskom failed to satisfy legal requirements for suspension & Matona doesnt know what he is accused of. 3 hours ago
- MT @polokotau: #EskomvsMatona Redding: Employer hasn't established prima facie or otherwise to believe Matona is guilty of misconduct 3 hours ago
- MT @polokotau: #EskomvsMatona Redding: they did not say they suspect him of sabotage or compromising power supply 3 hours ago
Rhodes was a nasty piece of work. The statue should have been pulled down and given to the Apartheid Museum in about May 1994.
Hendrik Verwoerd and the Broederbond must be happy that Africans have accepted the term ‘blacks’.
The problems at Eskom came to a head late this week when Standard & Poor’s relegated it to junk status. The ratings agency said it had less confidence in Eskom because of the suspension last week of four of its senior executives.