Media coverage of Oscar Pistorius and the slain Reeva Steenkamp has reflected deeply racialised and gendered attitudes to sexual violence, especially when compared to the coverage of Anene Booysen’s rape, mutilation and murder a few weeks ago.
City Press on Twitter
- RT @polokotau: Judge Makgoba postpones #MalemaTrial to 3 August 2015 3 hours ago
- MT @PolokoTau: Malema will be back in court on August 3, 2015. He is expected to leave court and go address his supporters now. #MalemaTrial 3 hours ago
- MT @PolokoTau: Judge Ephraim Makgoba listening to defence team ask for postponement. One suggests August 3 to September 3 2015. #MalemaTrial 3 hours ago
- MT @PolokoTau: Malema sitting in the witness stand, cameras all around him. Proceedings expected to start soon. #MalemaTrial 3 hours ago
- MT @PaddyHarper1: Business cats & Joe Public at #imbizo. Still waiting for Zuma, Cabinet & provincial who's who. Supposed to be 10am kickoff 3 hours ago
Milisuthando Bongela considers the times her and her family’s present has collided with what came before, and our continuous connections with the past.
When South Africans wanted details of President Jacob Zuma’s mysterious “rest and relaxation” visit to Russia last month, the response from the highest office was dismissive.