Media coverage of Oscar Pistorius and the slain Reeva Steenkamp has reflected deeply racialised and gendered attitudes to sexual violence, especially when compared to the coverage of Anene Booysen’s rape, mutilation and murder a few weeks ago.
City Press on Twitter
- Municipal employees applaud Pravin Gordhan’s threat to seize assets and sue: http://t.co/pd9UCRp11v by @mbanjwax #GovtSummit 2 hours ago
- Floyd Shivambu regrets flipping Ramaphosa the bird: http://t.co/WQidywJMq6 3 hours ago
- MOST READ: Cyril Ramaphosa declares R76m in shares, but … http://t.co/f4Bowwn4PZ 3 hours ago
- MOST READ: Baleka Mbete for president? http://t.co/hxnMKUuZGK 3 hours ago
- Brickz has to wait to hear if rape case is dropped: http://t.co/FaZpykMSqz 3 hours ago
Tuesday morning. The beginning of the working week for us Tuesday-to-Saturday punters.
I heard with shock when insults were elevated to another level by Kebby Maphatsoe, a leader of government who audaciously called Public Protector Thuli Madonsela a CIA spy and accused her of undermining the ANC.
The decision by the Northern Cape education department to close down schools in Kuruman for the rest of the year is a tragic and regrettable one.