Nothing in the artificial world that Madiba created gave whites who were close to him the ability to explore the complexities of race.
In recent weeks, I have listened to two very painful speeches by senior black women in our academic establishment.
Over the past 20 years, I have stayed away from joining any political party. The problem is I can’t seem to keep my mouth shut.
Steve Biko wanted black people to be self-reliant. Xolela Mangcu examines how we can apply Biko’s philosophy to our modern lives.
Xolela Mangcu has a plan to transform SA’s professoriate
Songstress Roberta Flack’s classic Go Up Moses contains the following lyrics, which I have remembered since I was a little boy: “My people, let Pharaoh go/ You don’t need him/ You don’t need his tricks/ You don’t need his trinkets/ Let Pharaoh go.”
The ultimate test for democratic societies is whether they have peaceful alternation of government by different political parties.
So what are we to make of the charge by post-1994 revolutionaries that Mamphela Ramphele is a “sellout” for accepting the nomination as the DA’s presidential candidate?
How does a country built on a narrative of victory survive its first moment of collective loss?
City Press on Twitter
- Tunisia, DR Congo draw to reach last 8: http://t.co/HJrhxUEwQ5 #Afcon2015 4 hours ago
- Group B: Tunisia and DR Congo are through to the quarterfinals #Afcon2015 4 hours ago
- Full-time scores: Cape Verde 0-0 Zambia and DR Congo 1-1 Tunisia #Afcon2015 4 hours ago
- ‘Mabuza didn’t hire people to disrupt Mohlala lecture’: http://t.co/fWx9dAt8en 4 hours ago
- Bafana could be without two defenders in their deciding #Afcon2015 match against Ghana: http://t.co/TDqcRBv9HG by @TimspiritMolobi 5 hours ago
I run because I run, and lately it feels like I’ve been running for my life.
I have a tendency to visit restaurants whenever I reward myself for something that I regard as somewhat significant. What better place to do this than at one of my favourite restaurants at Camps Bay in Cape Town?
Former president Thabo Mbeki made a promise to the world in July 2008.