Court order allows Lonmin to fire strikers – report
Lonmin has been granted a final order from the Labour Court declaring the strike at its Marikana mine unprotected.
An unnamed labour attorney told the Saturday Star that the order could establish legal grounds for the dismissal of the miners if they persist in striking.
“Basically the confirmation of a rule nisi – an interim order – by the court means that the order is final and the employer can take action against the workers who fail to comply without any legal implications,” the newspaper reported today.
President of the SA Council of Churches Bishop Joe Seoka, who has been involved in mediating the recent conflict, said Lonmin did not reveal that it was going to court.
“It is unfortunate that the company has done that and it will be intimidation to the workers. Things like this will make the situation worse.”
Last month Judge Edwin Molahlehi granted an interim order, which acting Labour Court Judge Anton Myburgh confirmed and finalised this week.
The order also prohibits striking workers from preventing others from going to work.
The wildcat strike began over a month ago with workers demanding monthly wages of R12 500.
In talks yesterday, workers rejected a new offer.
Forty-five people have been killed in violence associated with the strike.