Court prohibits Sadtu disruptions
The Bhisho High Court has granted an urgent interim interdict prohibiting the SA Democratic Teachers’ Union (Sadtu) from disrupting Eastern Cape education department offices and schools.
Departmental spokesperson Loyiso Pulumani said today that the court had ordered Sadtu to refrain from threatening “unlawful interference” with department activities and to desist from interfering with previous court orders. The order would remain in place until May 21.
Pulumani said Sadtu members had caused “major” disruptions at its East London district office since Wednesday, when they “violently” forced personnel to evacuate the premises.
He said staff were warned not to return to the office.
“Under this threat, the East London office was unable to function since Wednesday last week and other district offices anticipated similar lawlessness.”
Pulumani said there were also disruptions in King William’s Town and Queenstown.
According to the SABC website, Sadtu wants the department to stop the redeployment of teachers in the province.
Sadtu regional chairman Wandile Ntsangani told the broadcaster it wanted the department to employ more teachers.