De Doorns man killed in shooting not part of strike
A man who died after allegedly being shot with rubber bullets in De Doorns was not part of the farm workers’ strike, it was reported.
The Cape Times reported that Letsekang Thokoene (23) worked at a spaza shop in De Doorns, before being shot on Monday during a protest over higher wages.
His family in the Eastern Cape were informed of his death.
Western Cape police said Thokoene died in hospital and the Independent Police Investigative Directorate would investigate the shooting.
Farm workers went on strike last year to demand their daily wage be increased from R69 to R150, and that a coherent land-reform programme be implemented.
The strike was suspended in December, but resumed on Wednesday last week.
ANC chairman in the Boland, Pat Marran, told the newspaper the farm strike should be called off because the government had stepped in, some farmers were willing to negotiate and criminals had taken advantage of the situation.
“Some farmers have said they are willing to negotiate but I feel that cannot be done in such an environment. It is tense and very violent there,” he said.
“Government departments have also come to the party and showed willingness to assist. In light of that, maybe it would be right to consider calling off the strike.”