Health MEC takes over from Mmemezi
Gauteng health MEC Ntombi Mekgwe will take over from Humphrey Mmemezi as local government and housing MEC.
“We reflected on the overall performance of the province, the strengths and weaknesses,” Gauteng premier Nomvula Mokonyane said today.
“We are bolstering the existing executive council.”
Mmemezi quit after an integrity commission report presented to the Gauteng legislature found him guilty of contravening the province’s code of conduct and ethics.
The report referred to Mmemezi using a government credit card and covering up an accident in a government vehicle. Mmemezi resigned from his position on Wednesday.
The document was adopted unanimously by the legislature, though the DA made a declaration that other allegations against Mmemezi regarding his time with the Mogale City municipality and his time as MEC should be investigated.
Mokonyane announced a provincial cabinet reshuffle today.
Two new MECs, Hope Papo and Nkosiphendule Kolisile, were sworn in.
Papo would take over as health MEC from Mekgwe.
Mokonyane said Papo had been part of the Gauteng legislature for 14 years and had spent some time in the health department.
Economic development MEC Qedani Mahlangu would become infrastructure development MEC.
Kolisile would take over as economic development MEC. He is a former chairperson of the economic development cluster in the legislature and had been part of the economic development portfolio committee, Mokonyane said.
Outgoing infrastructure development MEC Bheki Nkosi was appointed the new head of the Gauteng gambling board.