Madiba: ‘No news is good news’
Nelson Mandela’s recovery was said to be “moving reasonably well” after his recent hospitalisation, the presidency said today, insisting that no news was good news.
Presidential spokesperson Mac Maharaj said doctors had not updated the presidency on Mandela’s health, which signalled that “Madiba is continuing to progress”.
“In the absence of a statement, please conclude that it’s all moving reasonably well,” he added.
Officials have offered few details about the 94-year-old anti-apartheid hero’s condition since he was discharged from hospital last week, after a stay of nearly three weeks for a recurrent lung infection and gallstone surgery.
On Friday, his daughter Zenani Mandela-Dlamini said he was “doing great” and enjoying time with his family at his Johannesburg home.
Mandela was flown to a Pretoria hospital on December 8 from his rural village home in Qunu. He was discharged last Wednesday and will receive “home-based high care” until he makes a full recovery.
“They said he was improving. The doctors are happy, there’s no crisis, they’ve taken him out of hospital, they’ve taken him home,” said Maharaj.