Malema loses lawyers
Lawyers from Brian Kahn Attorneys are no longer representing expelled ANC Youth League president Julius Malema.
Details about why the law firm had abandoned Malema’s case were confidential, said lawyer Nicqui Galaktiou.
“We have not ‘ditched him’ … We no longer act for Malema,” she said today.
Earlier in February, Galaktiou said the firm had been instructed to file papers opposing an application made to the High Court in Pretoria by the SA Revenue Services (Sars), to have Malema’s estate sequestrated.
Malema had until February 18 to notify Sars whether he intended to oppose the application.
According to newspaper reports, Malema had failed to meet the deadline.
If the application by Sars is successful, all Malema’s properties will be placed under curatorship and auctioned off to pay a reported R16 million he owes the state revenue collector.
Malema also faces charges of fraud and racketeering related to the irregular awarding of a R52 million tender to On-Point Engineers.
His Ratanang Family Trust was an indirect shareholder in the engineering company.
That matter is scheduled to resume in court in April.