R80 000 bail for Mangaung murder plot accused
One of the four right-wingers who appeared in court for an alleged plot to kill President Jacob Zuma and other high-ranking ANC members during the party’s Mangaung conference in December has been released on bail.
Magistrate Mziwonke Hinxa released Heinrich Boonzaaier on R80 000 bail in the Bloemfontein Regional Court today. Bail was denied for Boonzaaier’s co-accused, Johan Prinsloo, Martin Keevy and Mark Trollip.
Boonzaaier was granted bail because he was not mentioned in a confession by one of the other accused.
The four were arrested on December 16 last year during the ANC’s Mangaung conference.
During the bail application, state prosecutor Shaun Abrahams said the four had planned to carry out the attack from a distance outside Bloemfontein. He said they failed “at the last hurdle” because they could not obtain firearms.
Legal representatives for the accused argued that the state’s case was weak and even if the accused were not arrested “nothing would have happened”.
The case was postponed until March 25 for further investigation.