Surgeons left 16 items in man after op
Berlin – A lawyer in Germany claims surgeons left up to 16 objects in her client’s body after an operation for prostate cancer.
Annette Corinth says doctors removed a needle, compresses and surgical strips from banker Helmut Brecht after his wounds failed to heal properly following surgery in 2009.
The 77-year-old ex-banker died last year and his family is seeking $106 216 (about R900 000) damages for his suffering, plus costs, from the Henriettenstiftung Hospital in Hannover.
A spokesman for the Protestant Church-linked organisation that runs the hospital rejected the claims.
Achim Balkhoff told The Associated Press on Thursday the objects couldn’t have been left in the patient’s body during the operation because the equipment wasn’t in use at the hospital.
He added that the compensation demands were “unusually high” for such a case.