We will keep Sexwale out of office – Sanco
The SA National Civic Organisation (Sanco) would do its best to keep Human Settlements Minister Tokyo Sexwale out of office because of his silence on the demolition of houses in Lenasia, it has said.
“As housing minister your silence on the matter has not gone unnoticed …” Sanco’s spokesman Dumisani Mthalane said today in a statement.
About 50 houses were destroyed by the Gauteng department of housing on November 8 and 9. The department said the houses were built on land meant for government housing.
Mthalane said Sexwale’s silence was the sign that he was losing leadership qualities he previously had.
With the African National Congress choosing its top leadership in Mangaung next month, Sanco said Sexwale disappointed people because of the conference.
“You have betrayed the masses, just to be cool with those advocating a change in Mangaung,” said Mthalane.
Sanco also said Gauteng Premier Nomvula Mokonyane betrayed the people.
In response to the outcry over demolitions, on Tuesday Mokonyane said the demolitions had to send a strong message to other fraudsters who continued to illegally sell land in the province.
Mthalane said it was sad when lives became so “cheap” in the view of people who were supposed to be their leaders.
He said Sanco was also disappointed by the ANC in Gauteng’s silence on the matter.
“Shame, shame and shame on all of you.”
The demolitions of houses had been halted after the SA Human Rights Commissions obtained a court interdict.
The case is scheduled to continue in the High Court in Johannesburg on Friday.
Sexwale’s spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment.