DA applies to see Nkandla report
DA parliamentary leader Lindiwe Mazibuko has moved on her vow to fight to have the public works report on President Jacob Zuma’s Nkandla residence made public.
“I will today submit an application, in terms of the Promotion of Access to Information Act, to gain access to the now secret “Nkandlagate” report,” she said in a statement today.
A formal request had also been made to Manana Mabuza, the chairwoman of Parliament’s public works portfolio committee, to have the report tabled and discussed in the committee.
Mazibuko called on President Jacob Zuma to “do the right thing and intervene to ensure that his government tables the report in Parliament for proper scrutiny and debate”.
She said if he failed to do so, she would table the report herself, having gained access to the document through her Promotion of Access to Information Act application.
“I will table the report myself, as I am empowered to do as a member of the National Assembly.”
Announcing some details of his department’s report on Sunday, Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi said it would remain secret and would not be released lest security details of the Nkandla homestead became public.
However, he confirmed to journalists at the time that more than R200 million had been spent on the homestead complex – R71 million directly on security and R135 million on operational costs incurred by state departments involved in upgrading the property.
Yesterday, City Press published a letter that shows Zuma was aware of the extent of upgrades to his Nkandla residence paid for by the state, despite Nxesi’s insisting that Zuma had not been involved in the project.