DA wants Jiba held in contempt for failing to hand over Zuma spy tapes
The Democratic Alliance (DA) has called for acting head of prosecutions Nomgcobo Jiba to be held in contempt of court for failing to hand over the so-called Zuma spy tapes.
Yesterday was the deadline for responses to the DA’s heads of argument that were submitted on January 21.
The National Prosecuting Authority and President Jacob Zuma’s lawyers failed to submit heads of argument by the close of business yesterday, The Star reported today.
In its papers, the DA rejects the argument by Zuma’s lawyer Michael Hulley that submissions made by Zuma are confidential, and says Jiba will have to prove she is not in contempt of court for failing to hand over the tapes.
In March last year, the Supreme Court of Appeal gave the NPA 14 days to produce the documents that were before the then prosecutions head Mokotedi Mpshe.
He decided to drop corruption charges against Zuma in 2009, claiming the case was politically motivated. He based the decision on recordings of intercepted phone conversations, the so-called spy tapes.
Instead of producing the transcripts in April last year, the NPA handed them to Hulley.
According to The Star, the DA rejected the NPA’s contention that the documents were covered by a confidentiality undertaking given to Zuma.
The DA said it would be difficult for Jiba to show that her non-compliance with the SCA ruling was not in bad faith and that she permitted Zuma’s lawyers to dictate to the NPA how long they needed to study the transcripts, the newspaper reported.