Nkandlagate: The letter that proves Zuma knew
This is the letter that proves President Jacob Zuma was aware of the extent of upgrades to his Nkandla residence paid for by the state.
Signed on November 5 2010 by former Public Works Minister Gwen Mahlangu-Nkabinde – four days after she had been appointed by Zuma – the letter updates Zuma on progress with the multimillion-rand project.
Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi revealed yesterday that R206 million had so far been spent on the project.
Read our story on what Nxesi said: No evidence public money spent on Nkandla – Nxesi
At the press briefing, Nxesi said Zuma had not been involved in the project.
In her letter to Zuma, Mahlangu-Nkabinde said it was “prudent” to update him on progress on the matter.
She then lists several areas paid for by Public Works, including a cattle culvert, guardhouse and tuck shop and the relocation of families whose houses had to be demolished for the project.
City Press first reported on Mahlangu-Nkabinde’s letter on November 24 last year: What Zuma knew
Nxesi said irregularities occurred in the procurement of services and that disciplinary action would be instituted against Public Works officials.
Nxesi further referred his report to the Special Investigating Unit, the police and the Auditor-General.