Western Cape contract extended for tender process
A contract between the Western Cape government and marketing agency TBWA\Hunt\Lascaris has been extended until a new tender process is complete, Premier Helen Zille’s office has said.
“The contract has been extended and that is perfectly allowed in terms of the contract,” Zille’s spokesperson, Zak Mbhele, said today.
“The premier had nothing to do with extending the contract. A process had been started to put a new tender together and it had taken longer than expected, so the contract was extended.”
The New Age reported today that the contract was supposed to end on December 31.
Documents seen by the newspaper reportedly stated that TBWA\Hunt\Lascaris would be paid R6 million for the first six months of 2013 and a further R1 million a month for the remaining six months.
The documents also reportedly revealed that Western Cape provincial government director-general Brent Gerber said in a letter at the end of May that there was a decision not to extend the contract.
“I had a discussion with Premier Zille on May 28 2012 on this same topic,” Gerber reportedly wrote in the letter.
“Premier Zille agrees with the decision not to extend the current TBWA\Hunt\Lascaris contract upon the expiry and affirms that the department should embark upon a fresh procurement process for branding and communication services for the Western Cape government.”
The previous communications tender was awarded to TBWA\Hunt\Lascaris in 2010.
In August 2011, the ANC asked Public Protector Thuli Madonsela to investigate whether the contract was irregular following a report by the Sunday Times that correct supply chain management procedures had not been followed.
In her final report on the tender, Madonsela made four findings of maladministration and none of unlawfulness. She did not recommend that the contract be scrapped.