Beijing – China has detained 900 people for meat-related crimes including selling rat and fox meat as beef and mutton, the public security ministry has said.
State policing of South Africa’s meat standards is in a shambles, making it possible for tons of kangaroo and water buffalo meat to be imported to South Africa each year without consumers knowing where the meat lands up.
How the meat scandal will affect people’s buying decisions.
Suppliers involved in the country’s meat labelling scandal could face fines or time in jail.
Stellenbosch University researcher Professor Louw Hoffman said that cross-contamination – the transfer of one type of meat to another through chopping boards, saws, hands and utensils – played a definite role in his findings.
Regulations are not uniformly obeyed and are generally not well-enforced, says expert South African food-label law is tough, but lacks the teeth to bite.
Stellenbosch study kick-starts internal investigations
All 82 mislabelled meat products identified in a Stellenbosch University study.
Here they are: more than 80 meat products that contain, among others, donkey and water buffalo meat. City Press can today expose South Africa’s food-label lie as we publish the results of a landmark scientific study by Stellenbosch University.
City Press reveals more than 80 meat products that contain, among others, donkey and water buffalo meat.
On Sunday, City Press reveals who’s selling you donkey as beef. Take a look at highlights of the unfolding meat scandal.
If government does not stop “cowboys” in the meat industry, the mislabelling of products will continue to go unchecked, the Red Meat Industry Forum (RMIF) has told MPs.
When the horse meat scandal hit the headlines in Britain in the middle of January, it took British retailers exactly 24 hours to publicly announce the withdrawal of tainted products from their shelves.
Tons of water buffalo meat from Asia was smuggled into South Africa last year – just one such shipment organised by crime syndicates which are flooding our market with cheap and potentially hazardous meat.
Most of South Africa’s biltong has little to do with the ingredients on the label, according to DNA tests results.
City Press on Twitter
- RT @Thuls11: #KyalamiAuction Kyalami racetrack sold for R205 million 2 hours ago
- There may be more news on TV than ever before, but does quantity equal quality? asks @TVwithThinus: http://t.co/2sryZjTaL9 #Trending 2 hours ago
- ‘Contact lost’ with Air Algerie plane from Burkina Faso: http://t.co/Qdz36esc1N 3 hours ago
- MT @thuls11: #KayalamiAuction 3 more properties until we find out who gets call the Kayalami racetrack home. 3 hours ago
- MT @thuls11: #KayalamiAuction This building in Newcastle sold for more than R11m with an opening bid of R3.3 million: http://t.co/fG2mH1bvPC 3 hours ago
- 40 000 join Cape Town protest against Israeli attacks
- How Hlaudi Motsoeneng lied in SABC application: 4 E’s and an F in ‘matric’
- Why SA men have far less sex than the global average
- Transnet faces biggest class action in SA history over stripping of pension fund assets
- 10 steps to develop black professors
Saturday. The Croc and I are up bright and early. Impolitely so, if you ask me, but we don’t have a choice. The Commander in Chief is in town so that’s that.
Honestly, do we really need the department of public works? Has it brought us anything but embarrassment and scandal?