Orlando police officers have been threatening to lock-up residents of Noordgesig who want to lay charges against them. This was after the residents took to the streets against electricity outages last week. Viniser Paile (47) was shot on her right leg, above her knee, on her way back from work on Wednesday. An angry Paile […]
Police have denied shooting rubber bullets and teargas at protesters in Noordgesig, Soweto, from two helicopters yesterday night. “The chopper has not fired any rubber bullets, the same applies to the ground patrol team,” said Captain Katlego Mogale. She was reacting to claims to this effect by National Association for the Advancement of Affected People […]
The situation at Noordgesig, near Soweto, where people are protesting against rolling blackouts, was “still very tense”. “The group is very aggressive and any small thing can get them fired up,” Mark Trimble, the founder of the National Association for the Advancement of Affected People (NAAAP) said. “There is still a stand-off between police and […]
City Press on Twitter
- MT @MotlokwaP: Radebe is defending the indefensible. Everyone knows our president couldn't answer oral questions for this term.#talkingpoint 2 hours ago
- My CV speaks for itself – IEC chair candidate Gungubele: http://t.co/4naNFN3NIR 3 hours ago
- MT @GerhardPetzer: Embarrassing being South African with the so-called leaders SA is burdened with! #talkingpoint 3 hours ago
- RT @caiphusk_11: Mapaila says the #SACP has restrained itself even in the face of insults from Numsa 3 hours ago
- MT @caiphusk_11: Mapaila: Vavi remains Cosatu GS. We haven't taken a view on him. Cosatu is an independent federation. We respect that #SACP 3 hours ago
Wednesday. I’m hungry. I’m thinking about Doctor Hunter S Thomson.
The silence is about protecting white male privilege, which is under scrutiny in South Africa’s university system.
The ANC has lost moral authority. The public, even its voting public, no longer believes the party will do the right thing.