Orlando police officers have been threatening to lock-up residents of Noordgesig who want to lay charges against them. This was after the residents took to the streets against electricity outages last week. Viniser Paile (47) was shot on her right leg, above her knee, on her way back from work on Wednesday. An angry Paile […]
Police have denied shooting rubber bullets and teargas at protesters in Noordgesig, Soweto, from two helicopters yesterday night. “The chopper has not fired any rubber bullets, the same applies to the ground patrol team,” said Captain Katlego Mogale. She was reacting to claims to this effect by National Association for the Advancement of Affected People […]
The situation at Noordgesig, near Soweto, where people are protesting against rolling blackouts, was “still very tense”. “The group is very aggressive and any small thing can get them fired up,” Mark Trimble, the founder of the National Association for the Advancement of Affected People (NAAAP) said. “There is still a stand-off between police and […]
City Press on Twitter
- "As I lie here writing this, the ground is moving beneath me. My heart leaps every time the earth moves." http://t.co/6D4D73hNSX 14 hours ago
- Salga lashes out at Brian Molefe’s idea that Eskom (owed R4.6bn by municipalities) supply power directly to consumers:http://t.co/x2UEYWNW8W 14 hours ago
- Joburg hostels are perceived as enclaves of temperamental and bloodthirsty people who predominantly speak isiZulu... http://t.co/rpFNLvyizn 15 hours ago
- Businessman accuses city manager's wife of being part of extortion ring that tried to extract R1.5m bribe from him: http://t.co/2rXNf6CakT 15 hours ago
- Riah Phiyega is to blame for police force exodus, says Bheki Cele: http://t.co/PAdWsekVXk 16 hours ago
I’m busy working on Saturday’s babalaas when I get an SMS from a government spin doctor: “King Goodwill Zwelithini is going to talk about the xenophobia at KwaHlongwa near Maphumulo in a couple of hours’ time.”
I want to express my utter disgust at what has happened in South Africa recently and would like to clarify a few economic reasons that cause xenophobia.
South Africa was galvanised into saying #StopTheHate this past week.